The City of Mill Valley has partnered with the Cities for Climate Protection (CCP) Campaign, pledging to take a leadership role in addressing climate change. The City is particularly interested in reducing Green House Gas Emissions within the community.
What Can You Do?
The City of Mill Valley wants your input on how the City and community can reduce its greenhouse gas emissions.
- Take the Online Survey to tell us your ideas & thoughts on reducing greenhouse gas emissions within Mill Valley
5 Milestone Process to Reduce Emissions
As part of the its pledge, the City of Mill Valley has agreed to undertake the following 5 milestones to address and reduce emissions:
1. Conduct Greenhouse Gas (GHG) Emissions Inventory.
The Greenhouse Gas Emissions Inventory identifies the sources and quantify the volumes of greenhouse gas emissions resulting from community and governmental operations within Mill Valley.
2. Establish GHG Emission Reduction Targets. In 2007, the City Council adopted the following targets:
- Internal governmental operations target: reduce emissions 20% below year 2000 levels by 2020
- Community-wide target: reduce emissions 15% below year 2000 levels by 2020
3. Develop a Local Action Plan. A Climate Action Plan is used to address existing and future actions that the community and local government can undertake to reduce emissions by the targets set above.
- The City is currently working on developing a Climate Action Plan with the community. Please see details above to get involved.
4. Implementing the Action Plan. Once the City adopts its Climate Action Plan, it will continually work on implementing programs, policies and procedures to meet its 2020 emission reduction targets.
5. Monitoring the Progress and Reporting the Results. The City intends to continue to collect data and monitor progress of the Climate Action Plan in order to determine how successful the City and community has been in reducing emissions. Monitoring and reporting is an important step to ensure that the City meets its 2020 emissions reduction targets. Likewise, the Climate Action Plan will be modified based on the results and progress of emissions reductions reported out as part of this step.