||Thelma Percy became the City Librarian in 1970. The Library experienced extensive use in the late 1960s and 1970s and, despite the controversies around its placement in a park land, the building became a well-loved Community treasure. |
In 1978, the Mill Valley Public Library was included as part of the newly automated circulation system with the Marin County Libraries and the Sausalito Public Library. The Lucretia Little History Room was established in 1979 to permanently house a local history collection within the Library.
|Dorothy Thomas, Mill Valley City Librarian
from 1950 to 1970, in the new Library at Old Mill Park.
||Front entrance of the finished Library designed by Wurster Bernardi and Emmons, Inc. The sculpture and stone bench at the entrance are the work of Richard O'Hanlon and are of Sierra Nevada black pearl granite. |
(Photo by Fred Mertz Photography)
The United States officially recognized the legitimate existence of the Peoples Republic of China and the process of normalizing relations with China began. The Viet Nam War wound down and the United States withdrew in 1975.
In 1976, the Mill Valley Public Safety Building for police and fire services was completed and opened. Proposition 13 was passed in 1978 with the result that local public services in terms of funding, staffing, and hours were seriously curtailed. Also in that year, the Mill Valley Historical Society was formed.
Last updated: 8/30/2011 12:53:37 PM