The Mill Valley City Council recently passed an ordinance banning single-use carry-out bags and a 5 cent fee for paper bags. This ordinance applies to any pharmacy, supermarket, grocery store or foodmart within the City of Mill Valley.
- Stores cannot provide customers with plastic carryout bags at the point of sale.
- Stores are required to charge 5-cents for each paper bag provided at the point of sale. Bag fees are retained by stores and can be used for any lawful purpose.
- Pharmacy bags and product bags used to protect items from damage (such a produce, wine and bulk items) are excluded from bag fees and plastic bag ban.
- Customers may purchase a post-consumer recycled paper bag or a reusable bag at the point-of sale, or bring their own reusable bag from home to package items.
- Customers participating in WIC or Supplemental Food Programs are excluded from bag charges.
This ordinance goes into effect November 21, 2013 with enforcement starting January 1, 2014 (regulated by the City of Mill Valley's Code Enforcement Office: (415) 388-4033.