Skip to page body Home Find Books & Do Research My Library Services Programs & Events Kids Teens History Room Support the Library
Between 1900 and 1908, a number of "reading rooms" had been set up around the community. As the town experienced new growth through this decade, demand for services prompted a bond measure election in June 1908. Of the total $50,000 amount approved by voters (122 voters for and 67 against), $2,500.00 was earmarked for the purchase of a Library property. In October 1908, Ordinance No. 138 was adopted to officially establish a town Library. The new Library was started with some 750 books that were donated by the reading room at the Outdoor Art Club.

The Town Trustees appointed the first five members of the Library Board of Trustees in December 1908. The Carnegie Foundation, founded by the wealthy industrialist Andrew Carnegie, approved a grant in the amount of $10,000 for the construction of the Library facility. In March 1909, property was purchased on Lovell at Madrona for $2,000. The first Library was temporarily located in the assembly room of the Fireman's Hall.

Lytton Square looking west up Throckmorton Avenue sometime between 1908 and 1911. Train station on left. Keystone Block on the right.

With a population of 900, Mill Valley voted to incorporate in August 1900. The Mill Valley Outdoor Art Club was founded in 1902. Wilbur and Orville Wright made the initial flight of the first practical airplane at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. In 1904, the Dipsea Race was started by members of the San Francisco Olympic Club. There were 110 runners in the first race. William Kent purchased Muir Woods in 1905, saving the forest there from logging. San Francisco was destroyed by a great earthquake in April 1906.

Many victims of the 1906 earthquake sought refuge in Mill Valley and many decided to remain. In the same year as the production of the first Ford Model T, 1908, Tamalpais Union High School and the Homestead School were opened, and Mill Valley's city hall was completed. Mill Valley's population by this year had grown to 2,500. In 1909, Tamalpais Park School opened.

Last updated: 8/30/2011 12:53:35 PM