Parks & Recreation Commission Meeting
2/5/2014 7:00 PM - 10:00 PM
The Mill Valley Parks & Recreation Commission meets on the first Wednesday of each month at 7:00pm at City Hall
PARKS AND RECREATION COMMISSION
COUNCIL CHAMBERS, CITY HALL
26 CORTE MADERA AVENUE, MILL VALLEY
WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 5, 2014
Douglas Nelson, Chair
Suzanne Bohan, Vice Chair
CALL TO ORDER
PUBLIC OPEN TIME: Persons wishing to address the Commission on subjects not on the agenda may do so at this time. State law prohibits Commission action on any item not listed on the agenda unless Commission determines that there is a need to take immediate action and that the need for action came to the City’s attention after the agenda was posted. Other items will generally be referred to staff or received as information. When addressing the Commission, please: 1) State your name and address; 2) Address the Chair; 3) State your views succinctly; 4) Avoid repetition; 5) Limit comments to 3 minutes. Please note: The Chair will allow time for public comment on each agenda item.
APPROVAL OF THE AGENDA ORDER
COMMISSION AND STAFF ANNOUNCEMENTS
CONSENT CALENDAR: The following items listed on the Consent Calendar to be considered routine and are approved by a single motion without discussion. The Chair or any member of the Commission or the public may request that any item listed under the Consent Calendar be removed and action taken separately. In the event that an item is removed from the Consent Calendar, it shall be considered in its numerical order.
- Consideration of the Minutes of the January 8, 2014 Regular Commission Meeting. Recommended Action: Approve the January 8, 2014 Regular Commission Meeting.
- Consideration of use request of Downtown Plaza and Old Mill Park Redwood Grove by The Dipsea Race Committee for 104th Annual Dipsea Race for:
a. Downtown Plaza for Race number bib pick-up on Saturday 6/7/14
b. Downtown Plaza - starting line and Old Mill Park - race route on Sunday 6:00am-10:30am 6/8/14. Recommended Action: Approve use request with stipulations.
- Consideration of use request of Old Mill Park Redwood Grove by the San Francisco Dolphin South End Runners for 45th Annual Double Dipsea Handicap Race on Saturday 6/21/14 9:00am – 1:00pm. Recommended Action: Approve with stipulations.
- Consideration of use request of Downtown Plaza by the Mill Valley Chamber of Commerce for Gourmet Food and Wine Tasting Event on Sunday 6/22/14 6am - 6pm. Recommended Action: Approve use request with stipulations.
- Consideration of use request for Old Mill Park Amphitheater and Group Picnic Area by the Curtain Theater for Shakespeare in the Park set-up and performances on Saturdays & Sundays 8/16/14-9/14/14 and Monday 9/1/14 12 p.m. – 5 p.m. Recommended Action: Approve use request with stipulations.
- Consideration of use request for Old Mill Park Redwood Grove by Zero Breast Cancer for the Dipsea Hike/Run on Saturday 9/13/14 7 a.m. - 3 p.m. Recommended Action: Approve use request with stipulations.
- Consideration of use request for Old Mill Park Redwood Grove, Group BBQ Area & Amphitheater by the Mill Valley Fall Arts Festival for the 58th Annual Mill Valley Fall Arts Festival on Tuesday 9/16/14 through Monday 9/22/43 8 a.m. – 8 p.m. Recommended Action: Approve use request with stipulations.
- Consideration of use request of Old Mill Park Redwood Grove by the Dolphin Swimming & Boating Club for Escape From Alcatraz Triathlon Dipsea Race portion Start & Finish line on Saturday 9/27/2014 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Recommended Action: Approve use request with stipulations.
- Consideration of use request of Old Mill Park Redwood Grove by the Bay Area Ultra Runners for Quad Dipsea Race Start & Finish line on Saturday November 29, 2014 7:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. Recommended Action: Approve use request with stipulations.
- Sustainability Update – Zero Waste Grant Funding – Danielle Staube, Senior Planner
- Status Report on Bayfront Park Pier Project – Denise Andrews, Operations Superintendent
- Consideration of changing March 5, 2014 Parks and Recreation Commission Meeting to Wednesday, March 12, 2014. Recommended Action: Approve Changing Meeting Date.
- Priority Project Implementation Plan Review and Discussion. Recommended Action: Discuss and provide direction to staff.
- Field Feasibility and Assessment Sub-Committee Discussion. Recommended Action: Discuss and provide direction to staff.
- Golf Course Action Plan. Recommended Action: Discuss and provide direction to staff
- Golf Course Neighborhood Pesticide and Rodenticide Reduction Survey. Recommended Action: Direct staff to implement survey or provide other direction as appropriate.
RECREATION DIRECTOR AND OPERATIONS SUPERINTENDENT REPORTS
- Dog Wash Project Update (DPW)
- Outdoor Art Club Grants to City Update (DPW & Recreation)
- “Back to Rec” Night Discussion (Recreation)
COMMISSION REQUESTS AND IDEAS FOR DISCUSSION
ADJOURNMENT – To the next Regular Commission meeting which will be held on March 5, 2014.
Materials related to an item on this agenda submitted to the Commission after distribution of the agenda packet are available for public inspection at City Hall, 26 Corte Madera Avenue during regular business hours. Such documents are also available on the City’s website at www.cityofmillvalley.org subject to staff’s ability to post the documents prior to the meeting.
The City of Mill Valley is pleased to offer the following:
Webcasting Services: Please visit the Webcasting and Streaming Video Archive page to view the video, agenda, and meeting documents such as staff reports, consent calendar items, and attachments.
The City of Mill Valley does not discriminate against any individual with a disability. Upon request, City publications will be made available in the appropriate format to persons with a disability. If you require assistance or auxiliary aids in order to participate in this meeting, please contact the City Clerk at 388-4033 (TTY 711) at least 24 hours prior to the meeting. The accessible entrance and parking are located behind City Hall.
Meeting end times are approximate. To request a digital recording of the meeting, please contact the City Clerk's