Housing Element Update (2023-2031)
Draft Housing Element
The Mill Valley Housing Element Update will serve as the City’s housing plan for the next 8 years (2023-2031). The Draft Housing Element was submitted to the State Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD) on August 23, 2022 based on public comments received during the 30-day public comment period (June 30-July 30, 2022) and direction received at the August 1, 2022 City Council meeting. While the city awaits comments from HCD (expected in late Nov. 2022), staff will work with consultants on preparing the “subsequent Environmental Impact Report” that will address the environmental impacts associated with the adoption and implementation of the Housing Element Update. This subsequent EIR will evaluate only the impacts resulting from the amendments to the general plan elements.
- Chapters 1-4 (PDF)
- Appendix A Housing Needs Analysis (PDF)
- Appendix B_Community Outreach and Engagement (PDF)
- Appendix C Capacity Analysis and Sites Inventory data and maps (PDF)
- Appendix D Review and Status of Housing Program (PDF)
- Appendix E AFFH Analysis Mill Valley (PDF)
- Appendix F Constraints Analysis (PDF)
- Appendix G ADU Survey (PDF)
A Notice of Preparation (NOP) was issued on July 20, 2022 indicating that the City, as lead agency, will prepare a Draft Subsequent Environmental Impact Report for the Draft Housing Element. An errata to the NOP was then issued on September 15, 2022 to correct data and update information based on public comments received during the NOP public comment period (July 21-August 22, 2022). Additional modifications to the project description may be made based on public comments received as part the review of the Draft Housing Element.
August 1, 2022 City Council Meeting (6:30 pm)
Mill Valley City Council will discuss the draft Housing Element, including public comments and next steps in finalizing the initial draft to send to HCD for their initial review. The meeting will be held in person at Mill Valley City Hall, 26 Corte Madera Avenue, Mill Valley. You can also watch the meeting remotely online (LINK).
To view the staff report and comments received, see the August 1, 2022 City Council meeting (LINK).
August 4, 2022 Housing Element Scoping Meeting
The City of Mill Valley will conduct a public scoping meeting via Zoom teleconference on Thursday August 4, 2022, at 6:30 p.m. to collect oral comments on the scope of the Environmental Impact Report. Following is the link to join the meeting.
May 17, 2022 Housing Advisory Committee Meeting (6:30 pm)
This meeting will focus on reviewing housing programs of interest from the community and further discussing those Housing programs that should be included as part of the Housing Element Update.
April 28, 2022 (6:30-8:30pm) Online Workshop #4: City Staff will review existing housing programs and provide an opportunity to discuss new housing policies and programs to address community interests.
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar.
March 22, 2022 Joint Planning Commission/City Council Study Session: As part of the Housing Element Update, the State requires the City to demonstrate that it can successfully accommodate new homes on land within City limits for a range of household incomes. City staff is currently working to identify strategies and identify those properties that can help the City plan for and make room for new housing in Mill Valley. City staff presented its recommended approach and list of potential sites for the Housing Element’s the sites inventory, including land use and rezoning programs. At the meeting, Planning Commission and City Council supported the overall approach.
March 30, 2022 online Workshop will be rescheduled to April. Date TBD. Discussion of possible policies to consider as part of the Housing Element.
Join the Conversation and our E-mail List
Stay up-to-date on the latest information by signing up for the Housing Element Update Email List.
The City welcomes your input and comments as part of the update process! See below for the series of workshops that will discuss housing needs, policies, sites, and land use plans to support housing opportunities for all income levels in the community during the 8-year planning cycle.
Previous Meeting and Supporting Documents
Sites Analysis (November 2021 - February 2022)
- Online Survey (PDF)
- Workshop 3 (February 16, 2022): Video of the Workshop; Presentation: Presentacion en espanol (PDF) break out session notes pending.
- City Council Update (February 7, 2022) Staff Report (PDF), Presentation (PDF)
- Workshop 2 (November 10, 2021)Staff Memo:Summary of Site Analysis and Inventory (PDF) Presentation: Housing Element Workshop No. 2 (PDF) Presentation: Housing Element Workshop No. 2 (PDF) - Presentacion en Espanol Video of the Workshop: https://youtu.be/079JZYFN-_A
Housing Needs and Goals (September - October 2021)
- Community input received from September 23 - October 18, 2021 (Workshop 1 and Online survey (PDF)
- City Council Meeting (October 18, 2021) : Presentation summarizing workshop 1 and online survey (PDF)
- Workshop 1 (September 1, 2021): Watch the zoom video: Presentation; Demographics; trends and housing needs.
Project Kick Off ( Proposed Workplan and Outreach)
- September 1, 2021 City Council Meeting: Discussion of Work Plan, Schedule and General Requirements as part of the Housing Element Update: staff report; presentation; Public Outreach Plan
- Previous Housing Element (2015-2023): Volume 1; Volume 2/ Appendices
- Summary of units built for previous RHNA cycle: Annual Progress Report to City Council 2020 (PDF)
- What is a Housing Element - English Version; Spanish Version
- Consequences of Non-Compliance (PDF)
- Frequently Asked Questions
General Plan Goals
The two primary General Plan goals will guide the Housing Element Update process, and are:
- To protect and enhance the natural beauty and small town character of Mill Valley; and
- To encourage continued diversity of housing, income levels and lifestyles in the community. The General Plan community values are intended to guide the overall framework and decision making for the General Plan, and have been updated based on community input and feedback from the General Plan Advisory Committee.
What is the Housing Element?
The Housing Element is one of the seven required elements (or chapters) of the City's General Plan. Because housing affordability and availability is a critical issue with statewide implications, State law requires Housing Elements to be updated on a regular basis. The City of Mill Valley is currently part of an 8-year update cycle (2023-2031) and is working to update the Housing Element. The Housing Element Update must be reviewed and certified by the State Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD) by January 2023.