How to Run for Office

The next Mill Valley General Municipal Election will be held in June of 2022 when the voters of the City of Mill Valley will elect two members to the City Council for a four-year term and one member to the City Council for a two-year term.


You must be a registered Mill Valley voter within the City limits of Mill Valley (LINK) at the time nomination papers are issued, to be eligible to run for office. You can register or confirm that you are registered by contacting the Marin County Elections Office:


The City of Mill Valley is committed to promoting an equitable and inclusive environment that is welcoming to all who participate in municipal government. The City seeks diverse representation - candidates from all backgrounds and life experiences are encouraged to pull and file Nomination Papers.

The date nomination papers for eligible candidates interested in filing for office will be available from the City Clerk's office. Please contact the City Clerk's office (see "Contact Us" column) to schedule an appointment to obtain and file nomination papers.


The FPPC (Fair Political Practices Commission) mandates the campaign filing requirements for local candidates. The City Clerk serves as the filing officer for local campaign disclosure statements. Candidates are required to disclose certain economic interests and must file periodic campaign reports. Failure to file appropriate statements and reports can result in criminal, civil, or administrative penalties. Failure to file within prescribed deadlines can also lead to monetary penalties for each day a statement is late. The appropriate forms may be obtained from either the City Clerk’s Office or the FPPC website.

  • Candidate Intention Statement (Form 501)
    • A candidate for local office must file this form prior to solicitation or receipt of any contribution or expenditure of any personal funds used for the election. The form is filed with the City Clerk. Form 501 (PDF)
  • Statement of Organization Recipient Committee (Form 410)
    • A candidate that raises contributions from others totaling $2,000 or more during a calendar year must file an original Form 410 with the Secretary of State to disclose campaign bank account information and to receive a campaign committee identification number. A copy of the form is filed with the City Clerk. Form 410 (PDF)
  • Recipient Committee Campaign Statement (Form 460)
    • A candidate who has a controlled committee, or who has raised or spent or will raise or spend $2,000 or more during a calendar year in connection with an election to office, will be required to file this form periodically prior to and following the election. Form 460 (PDF)
  • Campaign Statement – Short Form (Form 470)
    • Candidates who do not intend to raise or spend $2,000 in a calendar year in conjunction with their candidacy will file a Form 470 with the City Clerk. Form 470 (PDF)
  • Statement of Economic Interests (Form 700)
    • Candidates are required to file a Form 700 disclosing all reportable investments, interests in real property, and income. Please be aware that all statements, and information submitted in conjunction with the statements, are a matter of public record and available for review by any requester. Form 700 (PDF)
  • The Political Reform Act, in part, provides that:
    • Receipts and expenditures in election campaigns should be fully and truthfully disclosed in order that the voters may be fully informed and improper practices may be inhibited. (Gov. Code §81002(a))
    • Assets and income of public officials that may be materially affected by their official actions should be disclosed, and in appropriate circumstances, the officials should be disqualified from acting in order that conflicts of interest may be avoided. (Gov. Code §81002(c))


Please visit the Marin County Elections website for more information: Hard copies of the voter registration form are available at City Hall.