The East Blithedale Avenue Rehabilitation Project Team has been hard at work! Project improvements include rehabilitating pavement and sanitary sewer lines, installing new bike lanes, pedestrian ramps, pedestrian bulb-outs, crosswalks, and improving access to local residential, school, and business areas.
Work is underway to rehabilitate the roadway, giving the community a better driving surface, as well as repairing the aging sewer system to provide better sewage flows for residences and businesses.
Congratulations to Mill Valley graduates! To help with traffic flow during graduation ceremonies, there will be no road closures on East Blithedale Avenue on June 9, 2022!
Work hours are 8:00am – 5:00pm. When work is near Park Elementary School between East Dr. and Alta Vista Ave, the work hours are 9:00 am – 3:00 pm while school is in session. Nighttime working hours are from 7:00 pm – 6:00 am.
What is Happening This Week:
- Construction crews will place 4030 tons of asphalt pavement between Amicita Avenue and Tower Drive.
- Drivers should be aware of crews installing advance detection loops Friday Night June 3rd at the intersection of Tower Drive and E. Blithedale Avenue, as well as Roque Moraes Drive and E. Blithedale Avenue.
- Project coordinators anticipate work crews will complete nighttime paving by June 8th. Flaggers will provide one-way traffic control.
- Work crews will conduct open-cut trench work between Thalia Street and Catalpa Avenue, and between Carmelita Avenue and Sycamore Avenue. They will remove and replace the aging sewer main with a stronger pipe.
- Work crews will remove and replace sewer laterals to residences between Catalpa Avenue and Sycamore Avenue.
- Contractors working on the Marin Water pipeline replacement project will replace a fire hydrant and pressure test the main water line between Camino Alto and Elm Avenue.
Carmelita Avenue and East Blithedale Intersection Closure:
The Carmelita Avenue and East Blithedale intersection will be closed till June 17 during construction hours 8:00am to 5:00 pm for sewer repair and lateral replacement. Please follow the posted detour signs to access the Golf Course and the surrounding neighborhoods. See the detour map below.
What Happened Last Week:
Work crews conducted the following:
- Paved Ashford Avenue with 600 tons of asphalt between Lomita Avenue and East Blithedale Avenue.
- Paved westbound East Blithedale Avenue between Tower Drive and Amicita Avenue with leveling course asphalt which is the layer below the final pavement.
- Completed the pavement grinding at Eastbound East Blithedale Avenue between Amicita and Tower Drive.
- Repaired sewer laterals on the north side of East Blithedale Avenue between Carmelita Avenue and Dell Street.
- Completed 14 concrete curb ramps on Sycamore Avenue between La Goma Avenue and East Blithedale
You may encounter minor traffic delays and limited street parking due to the dynamics of the roadway and sewer rehabilitation work. The City’s contractor, Argonaut Constructors, will provide flaggers at all intersections as well as driveways, as needed, throughout the project. Access to businesses, schools, and residents in the area affected will be their number one priority.
Part of this project requires the closure of one lane on East Blithedale Avenue and Ashford Avenue and shifting traffic during construction. Work crews will provide access to one lane in each direction and will place signs, barricades, and cones to help direct drivers. Work crews will try to minimize the inconvenience; however, construction noise will be present throughout the times stated. We will mitigate traffic as best as possible but please plan ahead and expect delays.
Above: Leveling and grinding pavement on East Blithedale Avenue.
Thank You for your Patience During the Construction:
City and Construction Management staff are making efforts to mitigate construction impacts and are collaborating with the Mill Valley Chamber of Commerce to coordinate and notify local businesses of the planned work. City and Construction Management staff are available to answer questions and review concerns.
Direct Project Contact Information 24/7: (628) 238-0221
Stay Up to Date on the DPW Twitter Site
Main Project Website