The Southern Marin Fire District (SMFD) invites you to apply for a rewarding and satisfying career in public service as a Firefighter EMT, Firefighter Paramedic or Laterals.
Join a public safety Special District that prides itself on being an integral part of the community. We are dedicated to protecting and providing for life safety, environmental protection and property conservation through education, hazard reduction and emergency response.
The Southern Marin Fire District serves the communities of Sausalito, Tamalpais Valley, Almonte, Homestead Valley, Alto, Strawberry, approximately 1/4 of the town of Tiburon, the City of Mill Valley, Fort Baker and the Marin Headlands. The District covers over 25.3 square miles, a population of approximately 39,907 and over 20,500 homes and commercial properties. Each of our zones is protected by one Type I engine with each of the zones cross-staffing at least one specialty piece of equipment such as a Ladder Truck, Rescue, Fire Boat, Jet Skis, Inflatable Rescue Boat, and Type 3 Engine.
The Firefighter Paramedic Position:
As a Firefighter or Paramedic for the Southern Marin Fire District, you will embark on a physically challenging, exciting and rewarding career. We are seeking highly motivated individuals who are dedicated to community service, have an aptitude for the diverse work performed in the fire service, and who demonstrate the qualities expected of today's fire service professionals.
To be considered to join this unique district as an entry level position, you must successfully pass the Firefighter Candidate Testing Center (FCTC) entry level firefighter written exam and are currently on the FCTC statewide list. For Entry Level Firefighter EMT and/or Paramedic, Southern Marin Fire District will be accepting applications starting on November 10, 2022 at 8am. The application filing deadline will be November 28, 2022 at 5pm.
To be considered for a lateral position, you must have proof of one-year paid experience in a position in addition to all qualifications listed.
If you meet the requirements and are interested in applying, please visit our website (www.smfd.org/careers) to complete SMFD Safety Job Application and send along with your resume to Susan Paterson at firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline November 28, 2022 5pm.
Applicants will be evaluated based on relevant training and experience. The process may include interviews and/or performance tests. Successful candidates will be placed on the eligibility list. A background investigation including LIVESCAN fingerprinting is required. All appointments are subject to the successful completion of a pre-placement physical examination that includes a drug screen. Applicants will be required to submit verification of the legal right to work in the United States. All employees are required by law to sign a loyalty oath to the United States and the State of California Constitution at time of hire.
Qualifications (please provide copies of all)
- Must be a minimum 18 years of age at time of application.
- High school diploma or GED certificate.
- Must have a valid Class C driver's license at time of employment.
- State Firefighter I Certificate (Academy not sufficient).
- Firefighter/EMT applicants must have current EMT certification.
- Firefighter/Paramedic applicants must have current California State Paramedic license and Marin County paramedic accreditation at time of employment (out of area candidates must have CA State or National Registry and we will help you get the Marin County accreditation during our academy); ACLS preferred.
- Current CPAT (within one year or time of appointment for entry level only).
SALARY AND BENEFITS
FIREFIGHTER EMT: Starting Salary Step 1: $7,599/month
FIREFIGHTER PARAMEDIC: Starting Salary Step 1: $8,359/month
Salary for lateral transfers, depending on experience and qualifications.
Southern Marin Fire District offers a generous Benefits Package including:
- Comprehensive medical, dental and vision benefits. Health care plans provided by: Kaiser L, Kaiser Silver and Teamsters Anthem Blue Cross.
- Dental Insurance provided by Delta Dental with premium costs paid by the District. Plan covers all employees and their dependents.
- Vision Insurance provided by VSP with premium costs paid by the District. Plan covers all employees and their dependents.
- LTC, LTD, Life and AD&D insurance are also included.
- Other District paid benefits include: EAP, BCN, RHS (District contributes 2% of base salary) and Deferred Compensation (District contributes 5% of base salary).
- Southern Marin Fire District participates in the Marin County Employees' Retirement System (MCERA).
- Also, included is longevity pay and education incentives.
Work Schedule: 48/96 schedule
Applicants will be evaluated based on relevant training and experience. The process may include interviews and/or performance tests. Successful candidates will be placed on the eligibility list. A background investigation including LIVESCAN fingerprinting is required. All appointments are also subject to the successful completion of a pre-placement physical examination that includes a drug screen. Applicants will be required to submit verification of the legal right to work in the United States. All employees are required by law to sign a loyalty oath to the United States and the State of California Constitution at time of hire.
Please visit www.smfd.org to learn more about Southern Marin Fire District.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
This posting will close at 5pm on November 28, 2022
Southern Marin Fire District is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Review SMFD Firefighter Hiring Information PDF